While establishing linking structure, people laid more stress on external linking structure than internal linking structure. Thus, as a result, people committing such a mistake are the one, who are likely to get affected by the latest Penguin update issued by Google. Those who are new to SEO (Search Engine Optimization), they must have started thinking about what is internal linking and what sort of planning is required in it, to get most out of Google and how to get better ranking on various search engines. Let us simplify for you, that the term ‘internal linking’ refers to the links established within the same website from one page to another.
Why is internal linking so vital in SEO?
- Internal linking makes Google to understand about essential pages of your website. To know about your linking structure status, Just type in Goggle search as “site:yourwebsitename.com” without quotes and a page with the list of pages will be sorted out basis of their importance. If the order matches with the order selected by you, then you possess a good internal linking structure.
- Internal linking helps in drawing attention of Google toward most crucial pages of the website, and to reduce the link juice transferred to low importance pages.
- To reduce the path of link juice pointing towards vital pages, so that each time you receive a link pointing to a page with low priority, the link juice gets transferred to the crucial pages quickly.
- Internal linking also aid in boosting your website quality, eventually a better internal linking structure provide awesome navigation enabling a user to browse more pages frequently.
Traits of a good internal linking structure
- For a good internal linking structure, essential pages are always most dominated and maximum numbers of links are pointed towards them.
- If most internal links are pointing towards same page, then different anchor text proves quite useful for informing Google about particular page.
- Rather than linking pages from the menu only, you can also link via text incorporated in the body of the web page content.
Use great tools to plan internal linking structure
A variety of tools are available in the market today, which are useful in selecting appropriate keywords for your website, also helps identifying your competitors’ keyword they are targeting. This step is crucial as vital keywords can be used as anchor text for an effective internal link structure. However, if you are not sure about using such software and tools, then you probably can perform following steps on how to plan sound for your internal linking structure.
- Research well in selecting the best keywords for your website.
- Arrange these keywords based on their importance and use them wisely on different pages.
- Line up your web pages based on their priority and fix the number of links on each of them.
- For setting better link structures draw a map of pages that are linked to each other.
- Choose different anchor texts on each page.
- Never restrict yourselves for putting links in the footer only, for this purpose you can also option of sidebar and images.
- Instead of using a single word as the keyword, try to use two or more as a keyword, for instance; rather using ‘SEO’ as the keyword, you can use ‘SEO India‘. In this way, more words are used at the same time.
Until now, you might have understood how crucial internal linking is, for a website. Therefore, don’t delay it further; plan your internal linking structure today. Above stated tips must be considered carefully. You can enhance your search engine ranking on popular search engines by developing a SEO friendly website design.